My Favorite Writing Group

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Where to You Find Inspiration to Write?

Seven Ways to be Creative Everyday
 
After dreaming of being a writer all my life, sound familiar, I gathered the courage and where-with-all to persevere through Julia Cameron's book, "The Aritist's Way." My first attempt was in 2000. I made it through Chapter 8, if only I had just read a little further into Chapter 9, where Julia covered U-turns. Yes, I made a creative U-turn. The book was working, and I decided to move forward without out it and, oh yes, I was so-o-o-o-o busy at work. I decided to focus all my new found creative energy into my job.

A few years later, an acquaintance at work was willing to become my creative partner and we went through "The Artist's Way" together several times, while supporting each others creative efforts. In 2011, I was able to take Julia's Artist's Way 12-week course in Santa Fe, and meet her for the first time. Even though I have read her book many times, the course deepened by practice and  I have graduated to her second book in the trilogy, "Walking in This World."

Her twelve week program works like a really good medication, by helping you become aware of your life and motivating you to be creative. Beware though, even though you feel better you cannot stop doing it, because you will eventually burn out and return to your old habits of dreaming instead of doing.

Some argue that "The Artist's Way" takes time away from your writing practice, I argue that taking time to do the "The Artist's Way" replenishes your creativity and inspires you to actually work consistently without burning out.

Two half finished novels, many outlined story ideas and two blogs later, I am still writing not just dreaming of being a writer. I also became a writer in my day job and learned all my writing counts, not just the writing I do to complete my novel.  Thank-you Julia.

Seven Ways I Stay Inspired


1. I follow Julia Cameron's Artist's Way Tools: a.) Morning Pages, written first thing in the morning upon waking, three pages free conscious flow of whatever pops into my mind, very enlightening. b.) Artist Date, time spent alone doing fun things with my artist self an hour a week. This is the hardest for me, taking time for myself goes against my grain. Me deserving of time, when there are so many needy people around me and other more productive and goal oriented tasks to complete? Guess what? I do it anyway. c.) A meandering walk once or twice a week, it's amazing what ideas surface through visual stimulation and movement, not to mention the feeling of rejuvenation.


2. Victoria Schmidt's books and other good writing books about how to write better and the writing life. Plain and simple, reading more makes me a better writer. What are your favorite writing books?

3. Participate with VBIAMClub@yahoogroups.com. I regularly read  and respond to the emails of like minded writers on VBIAM. This email group inspires me month after month, year after year.

4. Reading good novels. I take time to read anything that grabs my fancy. Some writer's suggest reading in your genre, and this is a good idea. If I am going to write novels, reading them makes sense to me.

5. Talking and working with other writers. Developing relationships with supportive and encouraging writer friends I can meet for coffee, practice writing together in a group for motivation, and to share tips and ideas with in person or online are invaluable in motivating myself to keep writing. A little accountability to a writing partner goes a long way.

6. Getting to know my creative process, not comparing it to others, being gentle with myself and trying not to criticize myself or my writing. Sometimes my inner writer feels like a little child and I am learning to be very kind and encouraging to this developing writer. She needs to be protected from people and circumstances that will extinguish her creativity.

7. Self-Care, hot baths, walks outdoors, taking a day off from work just for me or a massage once in awhile... Self-care also doubles for artist dates

So there you have it, my favorite activities to fuel my creative fires and help keep me inspired to write everyday. I'm slow, it's been six years since I started writing regularly. The secret, I pick up wherever I left off no matter what has set me back. The goal for me is to write everyday, even if it is just my morning pages. Where do you find inspiration to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment